Scenic Places to see around:
In the central part of Oregon state, you can find a picturesque small town called Sisters. The beautiful scenery and the variety of outdoor activities makes it a well known tourist destination.
If you are planning on visiting Sisters, here are a few places you should consider seeing.
1. Three Sisters Wilderness Area: is located just outside Sisters and is one of the most popular destinations for hikers and outdoor enthusiasts. The region encloses over 240,000 acres and is home to several peaks, including three volcanic ones, called Three Sisters. They tower over the surrounding landscape, and have in between several trails that offer visitors the opportunity to explore the beautiful forests, meadows, and lakes.
2. McKenzie Pass: this scenic drive showcases stunning views of the surrounding mountains and forests. The drive takes you through a volcanic landscape where you find several stops along the way, including the Dee Wright Observatory, with panoramic views of the zone.
3. Peterson Ridge Trail System: is a network of trails that passes through the forests and hills surrounding Sisters, allowing stunning views of the surrounding landscape. This trails system is popular with mountain bikers and hikers, who have several trails to choose from, ranging from easy to difficult.
4. Sisters Rodeo: every June this popular rodeo attracts thousands of visitors from all over the country who want to experience the western culture and traditions of the area. Features several smaller events, including bull riding, barrel racing, and roping.
5. Hoodoo Ski Area: just a short drive from Sisters, this location is favored by skiers and snowboarders during the snow season, thanks to the several trails and lifts as well as the challenging terrain park. In summer, the area changes its nature and brings out hiking and mountain biking trails.
6. Whychus Creek: running through Sisters town this creek offers several opportunities for fishing, swimming, and hiking. Furthermore, various trails follow it allowing visitors the chance to explore the beautiful scenery of the area.
7. Metolius River: this popular destination for fly fishing, is home to several fish species, such as rainbow and bull trout. The river offers breathtaking views of the surrounding forests and mountains.
8. Black Butte Ranch: just outside of town this resort has various amenities, including golf, tennis, and horseback riding. Set against the backdrop of Black Butte, a volcanic peak, visitors can as well enjoy the views.
9. Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway: this 66-mile drive takes you through the stunning Cascade Mountains, offering you a great way to experience the natural beauty of the area. It has several stops along the way, including lakes and waterfalls.
10. Smith Rock State Park: with several towering rock formations is a popular destination for rock climbers and hikers.
11. Bend: this lively city is located about 20 miles south of Sisters. It is known for its great restaurants, breweries, and outdoor activities. You could spend a day or two visiting attractions such as the High Desert Museum, the Old Mill District, and the Deschutes River.
12. Crater Lake National Park: This beautiful national park located about 100 miles southwest of Sisters. Crater Lake is the deepest in the United States and offers breathtaking views and numerous hiking trails.
13. John Day Fossil Beds National Monument: is a unique national monument located about 120 miles east of Sisters. Besides the great landscapes and hiking trails, it features a collection of well-preserved fossils from the Cenozoic Era.
14. Mt. Hood National Forest: this vast and beautiful forest located 100 miles north, offers a range of recreational opportunities, including hiking, skiing, fishing, and camping.
15. Oregon Coast: this scenic and diverse stretch of coastline is located about 150 miles west of Sisters. It features charming seaside towns, beautiful beaches, and numerous recreational activities, such as hiking, kayaking, and whale watching